Posted: August 1, 2017
The Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors National Association (SMACNA www.SMACNA.org ) is seeking to add an experienced Executive Director of Communications and Marketing to our team of high-performing professionals. This is a new position at SMACNA. SMACNA has made a strategic decision to elevate the importance of and commitment to the communications function.
In this position, you will lead our efforts to increase internal and external stakeholder engagement, improve the understanding of the value and utility of SMACNA’ products and services, and help garner support for SMACNA’s public policy positions. You will report directly to the CEO and lead a five-person team that serves as the in-house organization-wide resource for SMACNA messaging, branding, communication strategy, marketing and development of new and innovative tools and channels to reach the organization's priority audiences. Your role includes oversight of the association's regular communications products, earned and social media, strategic communications campaigns, marketing of our events, products, services and publications; brand and reputation management; digital and print publishing and membership engagement.
You will work closely with four other members of the executive team, who also share the Executive Director designation, to provide cross-divisional strategic counsel for communicating our priorities and messaging both externally and internally
You will have responsibility for all activities related to conceptualizing and implementing communications, marketing and outreach strategies. You will develop constructive partnerships with all units within SMACNA. You will help tell this organization’s story and convey its value to its multiple stakeholders.
- Develop an annual departmental plan that aligns with SMACNA’s strategic direction
- Manage and coach the communications team
- Work with internal subject matter experts to develop content-rich messaging
- Develop and manage the department’s budget, identifying areas for both efficiencies and vestment
- Ensure vendors and consultants add value to the association in a measurable and cost-efficient way
- Serve as in-house communications counsel to all SMACNA work groups to ensure quality and style consistency as SMACNA resources and content are developed
- Develop and lead the implementation of an overall communications strategy for SMACNA
- Create a marketing and public relations strategy to allow SMACNA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with key external audiences
- Lead cross-divisional teams to develop messaging and dissemination strategies for key issues facing SMACNA and its members
- Produce collateral materials to reach SMACNA audiences using multimedia formats
- Work directly with the SMACNA president and SMACNA CEO on key speeches and other public presentations
- Develop metrics to track member engagement and the effectiveness of communications products and projects
- Work with the CEO to address and improve internal communications and culture
Experience and Qualifications:
- Baccalaureate degree in a related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- Significant professional experience (10 years or more) including leading communications and marketing activities on staff at a high functioning association, corporation or in an agency or similar setting
- HVAC industry knowledge a plus
- Experience in successfully leading, managing and motivating a team
- Expertise in strategic communications, marketing, message development, targeting audiences, media outreach, social media, digital communications
- Proven track record of innovation and translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Collaborative leadership style
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to travel as required
Location: Chantilly, VA (near Washington Dulles Airport)
Salary: low to mid 100’s
Travel: Approximately 25 days per year
Send resume to Human Resources, PO Box 221230, Chantilly, VA 20153-1230 or email to: email@example.com.
SMACNA is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.