The Architectural Internship Program was developed in conjunction with the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS). This program provides SMACNA contractors with the opportunity to get paired with architectural interns for specified periods of time throughout the year.
To participate in this program, and get paired with an intern. SMACNA contractors must fill out this form to participate.
Why Implement an Architectural Internship Program?
Benefits to SMACNA contractors:
- Positive public relations by supporting the construction industry and young people entering the workforce
- Short term planned increase in resources to support projects
- Getting a unique perspective and fresh ideas on your organization and approach
- Management practice for your supervisors and project managers acting as mentors to the students
- Insight into potential future workforce and how they impact how work gets done
- Recharge company imagination
- Potential future employee or defining “sought after” traits
Benefits to the student:
- Obtaining required credits towards architecture license
- Better understand the role of the architect, sheet metal/HVAC contractor and fabricator, and other trades represented on a construction project
- Hands-on experience in a dynamic sector of the construction industry and exposure to high level craftmanship
- Real life exposure to fabrication/installation coordination and challenges
- Expanded technical awareness of construction and architectural metals
- Observing how things get done – practical fabrication and installation processes and best practices
- Development of real-world experimental professional relationships
- Insight into the potential future jobs market and what it will require to be successful
- Opportunity to engage in design work beyond the traditional architect’s practice and exposure to other future opportunities
To learn more about the initiative, download the following documents:
Ready to get started? Submit your profile using the link below: