In July, SMACNA’s Board of Directors met and discussed a wide variety of issues and topics to provide a competitive advantage for SMACNA members. Following are highlights and decisions from that meeting.
A mid-year operating revenue budget of $11,723,190 and a mid-year operating expense budget of $10,689,564 were approved.
Preliminary findings of the 2016 update to the New Horizons Foundation “HVAC and Sheet Metal Industry Futures Study” were presented to the Board for discussion. Also joining the Board for this presentation and discussion were SMART General President Joseph Sellers and senior members of SMART’s staff leadership team.
This is the first time SMART leadership had ever attended the Board of Directors meeting. General President Sellers took the opportunity to update SMACNA’s Board on SMART industry initiatives and encouraged additional dialogue between SMART and SMACNA.
New projects approved were:
- A second Project Managers Institute, Sept.12-14, 2016
- Selection of a Learning Management System platform to provide self-study educational e-learning programs
- Material testing for the “Thermoset FRP Duct Construction Manual”
- Webinar to promote the new “Thermoset FRP Duct Construction Manual”
- Testing to verify technical data for the “HVAC Duct Construction Standards—Metal & Flexible”
- Silica Exposure Prevention Model Program
The Board addressed a recommendation from the Council of Chapter Representatives for National SMACNA to provide necessary resources to assist chapters in monitoring and acting on state and local legislative initiatives impacting SMACNA members. Further research and an options paper are being developed for Board consideration.
The Board adopted revised policy statements on SMACNA’s positions on federal contract standards policy, Miller Act Reform, alcohol and substance abuse policy, and employee risk notification policy.