Contractors do so many things well. We estimate, figure solutions to our customers problems, and even balance cash flow on a daily basis.
One thing we sometimes don’t do very well is reflect and celebrate our accomplishments. How many times have we won a bid, finished a difficult installation or even made a profit on a project without stepping back and telling others about our win?
I know in my business and my life I, too rarely, take time to celebrate the victories no matter the size. So, I would like to reflect on and, yes, even celebrate some of the accomplishments SMACNA and its contractors experienced in 2017, such as:
- Refreshed the SMACNA website to showcase resources in a user-friendly way.
- Introduced the Downspout and Gutter Sizing Calculator.
- Upgraded the web search engine to filter results by topics
- Published the “Round Industrial Duct Construction Standards,” 3rd edition.
- Sold out SMACNA’s educational programs.
- Adopted a new strategic plan to position SMACNA and its members for future success.
- Planned a streamlined and targeted Partners in Progress Conference.
- Experienced outstanding attendance at our National Issues Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Expanded our national member education programs to include an Advanced Project Management Institute and Leadership Institute.
- Published two new model safety programs for Personal Protective Equipment in Construction and Personal Protective Equipment in General Industry.
- Helped lead the effort to pass “The Energy Savings Through Public-Private Partnerships Act of 2017.”
This partial list is just a small fraction of what SMACNA and SMACNA contractors have achieved this year. The January SMACNews will have more.
Moving forward, SMACNA’s new Strategic Plan will help put these 2017 accomplishments into perspective. In 2018, we will build on what we’ve accomplished here and focus additional efforts to attract more quality people into our companies and local unions. We plan to communicate more effectively to our stakeholders and improve the relevance and effectiveness of our partnership with our Chapters and labor partners.
So, hats off to all of you and congratulations on all we have achieved together.
It has been an absolute pleasure meeting with so many high-caliber and motivated people around the country this year. I have enough memories to last a lifetime. I appreciate the friendships made and the willingness of all I have met to share their knowledge. I will leave the office of SMACNA President confident in the future of the SMACNA contractor.
Thanks again and I wish all continued success in the future.