Delegates to the first Sheet Metal Air, Rail and Transportation Association (SMART) convention, held in Las Vegas from Aug. 11 to 15, unanimously elected Joseph J. Nigro general president and Joseph Sellers Jr. general secretary-treasurer.
Sheet Metal Division delegates returned by acclamation all 11 current vice presidents to the General Executive Council. All 1,007 voting delegates, representing a variety of crafts from SMART’s membership, were eligible to vote for the offices of general president and secretary-treasurer. Only Sheet Metal Division delegates were eligible to participate in elections for the sheet metal vice presidents.
The following officers comprise the sheet metal members of SMART’s General Executive Council:
- General President – Joseph J. Nigro
- General Secretary-Treasurer – Joseph Sellers Jr.
- First General Vice President – Bruce W. Word, LU 104, San Francisco, Calif.
- Second General Vice President – Ronald Whatley, LU 85, Atlanta, Ga.
- Third General Vice President – Dave Zimmermann, LU 36, St. Louis, Mo.
- Fourth General Vice President – Mark Curtis, LU 276, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
- Fifth General Vice President – Patrick Landgraf, LU 18, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Sixth General Vice President – Derek Evans, LU 540, Ontario, Canada (production local union)
- Seventh General Vice President – Joseph Powell, LU 206, San Diego, Calif.
- Eighth General Vice President – Norman Whiteman, LU 68, Dallas, Texas
- Ninth General Vice President – John Helak, LU 71, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Tenth General Vice President – Arthur Tolentino, LU 293, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Eleventh General Vice President – Rocco Terranova, LU 73, Chicago, Ill.
Transportation Division officers were elected during the Transportation Division Convention held June 30 to July 2.
Those inducted as Transportation Division general vice presidents on the General Executive Council were:
- Transportation Division President – John Previsch, LU 31, San Jose, Calif.
- National Legislative Director – James Stem, LU 1129, Raleigh, N.C.
- Vice President – John Lesniewski, LU 1534, Chicago. Ill.
- Vice President – David Wier, LU 469, Madison, Ill.
- Vice President – Bonnie Morr, LU 23, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Vice President – Troy Johnson, LU 594, Mineola, Texas