Sheet Metal & Air Conditioning Contractors’ National Association

Archives

Pandemics and Productivity: Quantifying the Impact

Jul 16, 2020

Pandemics and Productivity 495x600A message from Guy Gast

SMACNA Members and Chapters:

We are living in an unprecedented time. 

How do SMACNA contractors preserve the businesses we’ve built in the face of conditions that impact the work we bid when unanticipated factors suddenly burden us with unforeseen costs?

The New Horizons Foundation and SMACNA have partnered with NECA and its foundation, ELECTRI, to quantify the magnitude of COVID-19’s related productivity impact. Historical impacts on labor productivity are well-documented; COVID-19 impacts are not. The results are telling.

NHF Fig 8 1265x772Our study, Pandemics and Productivity: Quantifying the Impact, indicates an overall 9.2% average productivity impact on Sheet Metal, HVAC and Mechanical contractor productivity purely as a result of the pandemic. These productivity losses are additive to the mitigation impact of 7.4%, producing a total productivity impact of 16.6%.

Please read and use this independent work commissioned by the New Horizons Foundation to assist you in recovering unanticipated costs on your current projects and to guide you in preparing accurate proposals.

Sincerely yours,

GGast

Guy Gast, Chair
New Horizons Foundation, an HVAC and Sheet Metal Industry Initiative

For questions about this white paper, email Guy Gast at info@newhorizonsfoundation.org, or Tom Soles, SMACNA’s Executive Director of Member Services, at tsoles@smacna.org.

Access other New Horizon Foundation reports and white papers.