SMACNA and SMOHIT Sponsor Successful Safety Conference
A unique conference format and an exceptional award winner highlighted the 2019 SMOHIT Safety Champions Conference. Seven SMACNA members were also recognized as Safety Matters Award winners during the conference in Tempe, Arizona in late February.
During keynote sessions and roundtable discussions, participants learned about current safety issues, building a company safety culture, the aging workforce, safety training best practices, misuse of drugs and alcohol, and new technologies in safety.
The Safety Matters awards recognized both individuals and contractors, including these SMACNA members:
- John Santivasci Jr., CMC Sheet Metal, Capital Heights, Maryland
- Rebecca Campbell, Pan-Pacific Mechanical, Menlo Park, California
- Jamie Devan, Southland Industries, Dulles, Virginia
- Apollo Mechanical Contractors, Kennewick, Washington
- Critchfield Mechanical, San Jose, California
- Leibold Mechanical, Pottsville, Pennsylvania
- PSF Mechanical, Seattle, Washington
Dan Hubbard of the Doral Corporation received an award for saving the life of his co-worker journeyman Scott Hintz when Hintz’s clothing caught fire from a welding spark. Hubbard’s heroics by using his own T-shirt to smother the flames saved Hintz from further injury.
The conference is sponsored by SMACNA and SMOHIT. The Safety Matters Awards are presented to both individuals and contractors for outstanding contributions to safety and health.
Members interested in attending the 2020 SMOHIT Safety Champions conference should contact SMACNA’s Director of Market Sectors and Safety Mike McCullion, email@example.com
, or visit the SMOHIT website www.smohit.org.