Everyone knows at least one person who can’t be away from their phone — even when behind the wheel. Did you know:
- 47 percent of Americans consider themselves to be addicted to their phones1
- People check their phone an average of 344 times per day1
- Drivers are 23 times more likely to crash when using a cell phone2
- One out of every four car accidents is caused by texting and driving in the United States3
Cell phone addiction is real. Are your employees among the 47 percent of Americans who can’t keep their hands and minds off their phones on the road? If you can’t definitively answer that question, it’s time to take action.
Take action: During National Distracted Driving Awareness Month this April, educate your employees on the danger of cell phone addiction using the statistics shared above.
Take action: Learn more about Federated DriveSAFESM Telematics, which offers insight into employees habits behind the wheel – including phone use.
Federated’s knowledgeable risk consultants are also available to clients to provide personal consultation on distracted driving topics and ways to reduce cell phone use behind the wheel. Reach out to your local marketing representative to learn more.
- https://www.reviews.org/mobile/cell-phone-addiction/ 2022 Cell Phone Usage Statistics: How Obsessed Are We? Accessed 2/16/23.
- https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/FMCSA-RRR-09-042.pdf US Department of Transportation. “Driver Distraction in Commercial Vehicle Operations”. Accessed 2.20.2023
- https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html 2022 Texting and Driving Accident Statistics. Accessed 2/16/23.